Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Bellowhead Concert Review for Arts Awar

On Friday the 23rd February, I went to see Bellowhead live in concert at the Mick Jagger Centre in Dartford.

Bellowhead are an eleven-piece folk-big-band, whose popularity has rapidly snowballed in the past two years. This band, who call their style "English World Music", have won the prestigious "Best live act" award at the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards in both 2005 and 2007.

Having only heard one song by Bellowhead before the concert, I was a bit cautious as to whether I would enjoy it or not. For me, folk music is either fantastically brilliant and I can't get enough or I can't stand it. At this point, I did not know about the awards the band had won, but I would soon find out why they had won them.

As soon as I entered the venue, I could feel an atmosphere in the building of excitement. The bar was full of "folkies" having a laugh, giving the whole place a friendly environment.

We all packed into the hall, and awaited the band to arrive on stage. When they came out, a huge uproar of approval sprang from the crowd. Opening with the fan favourite "Rigs of the Times", they got the crowd singing along, clapping and even dancing. There was huge electricity in their playing which made it an awesome experience. My other favourite songs were "London Town", a song "about ripping off a prostitute" according to the lead singer, Jon Boden, and "Sloe Gin", a instrumental folk jig that had people in the Balcony, including myself, jumping out of their seats and trying to "jig". They closed with the powerful ballad "Jordan", with almost the whole band singing the anthemic chorus and the whole crowd singing it back at them.

I have been to two folk festivals, and concerts of more "well known" bands such as Panic! At The Disco and My Chemical Romance, but I can say that the atmosphere and electricity flowing around the venue that night mixed with the incredible music being played made this the best concert I have ever been to.

If you ever get the chance to see this band live, do. It may not appeal to people who listen to rap or garage, but if you like any sort of pop, rock or folk music, go and see this band and you will be astounded, and I can guarantee that it will be one of the best nights out of your year, if not your life.

1 Comments:

Blogger ot said...

Nice review Andy!

9:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home